2023 frequenty asked questions
When and where is the Bloomington Handmade Market held?
BHM Summer Fair 2023 will take place on Saturday, June 10 from 10am-4pm in downtown Bloomington, IN on Kirkwood Avenue in conjunction with Indiana University Arts and Humanities Granfalloon.
BHM Holiday Market 2023 will take place at the Monroe Convention Center - located at 302 College Ave in Bloomington, IN on Saturday November 11, and Sunday November 12th from 10a-4p both days. Our "family day" with Kids vendors will be Sunday.
How can I be a vendor?
Applications will be open for the month of March, 2023 for the Summer Fair.
Applications will be open for the month of August, 2023 for the Holiday Market.
Join our mailing list to be reminded when applications go live!
How much is the booth fee?
The fee to participate for Summer Fair will be $110, plus a $10 application fee. Both of these fees are NON-REFUNDABLE. More details on that below.
The fee to participate for Holiday Market will be $225, plus a $10 application fee. Both of these fees are NON-REFUNDABLE. More details on that below.
The fee to participate in the Kids Section of the Holiday Market is $15, with no application fee. This fee is NON-REFUNDABLE.
Why is the market juried, and how do you decide who is included?
The market is juried because we want to showcase the best of contemporary art and craft in that space! We are looking for unique, contemporary handmade items that push the boundaries of what handmade arts and crafts can be, and we strive to have a wide variety of media. We consider all the applications carefully based on the images you submit and your own description of your work.
When and how will I know if my application was accepted?
We will notify all applicants regarding their Summer application by April 2023
We will notify all applicants regarding their Holiday application by Sept 2023
What if I am not accepted?
If you are not initially accepted into the fair, we may ask you if you'd like to be put on our waiting list. We inevitably have accepted vendors who are unable to participate, and we ask those who are next on our waiting list to take their place.
Why was I not accepted?
We have many more applications than we have space available is the #1 reason! Because of the volume of applications we get, we're unable to answer specifically why you may not have been accepted, but common reasons are:
- You've done our show several times and we want to rotate artists to keep our show fresh for shoppers
- There was a high number of applicants in one category (jewelry and illustration always fill up first)
- Your work does not have a focus, meaning you might make knitted items as well as ceramics. We suggest applying with just one of those things to make for a more cohesive booth
- Your booth display might need work. The way you display your work can be just as important as your product!
- Your application has issues- did you double check that the links you submitted work? Did you give us enough information about what you make and how you make it? Did you submit good quality photos of your product?
We encourage you to come check out the show to get a feel for what we're looking for. And just because you aren't accepted once doesn't mean you won't be accepted in the future! We look for growth in your product, web presence, and your display.
Is my booth fee refundable?
No. As artists ourselves we have tried to figure out a way in which to make your booth fees refundable in case of a cancellation on your part or ours. Unfortunately, this is impossible. We must begin paid marketing campaigns (with your booth fee money) basically before your money even hits our accounts. Rest assured, all of your booth fee money goes toward marketing. This is why we cannot offer refunds, and never have.
What does my booth fee cover?
For Summer Fair your booth fee covers:
- 10'x10' street space
- box lunch
-marketing and advertising
-our undying Love
For Holiday Market your booth fee covers:
- 8' x 8' indoor space with two chairs (Kids Section is a 8' x 4' space with included table at the top of the stairs)
- box lunch
-marketing and advertising
-our undying Love
- it does not cover: electricity or tables, though most booths will have access to electricity free of charge!
What Covid Safety precautions are you taking in 2023?
These precautions are subject to change according to the CDC and Monroe County Health Dept suggestions.
Still have questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
vendor terms & Conditions
REFUND POLICY/CANCELATION/NO SHOWS
- No refunds will be given for any reason.
- Vendors understand that Bloomington's Handmade Market LLC has no control over weather, acts of God, acts of terrorism, government intervention, or any other cause that may prevent and alter and or interrupt BHM, and participants shall hold Bloomington's Handmade Market LLC. harmless for any losses that could arise because of such event. Bloomington's Handmade Market LLC. does not refund fees due to weather.
- Vendors must stay open until at least 4pm.
- Vendor spaces must be clean and empty of trash no later than 6:30pm.
- Vendors must treat all attendees with kindness and respect.
- All outdoor booths MUST have tent weights weighing at least 25lbs. If you do not have tent weights, you will be asked to get some immediately or we will ask you to tear down.
- All materials deemed offensive by Bloomington's Handmade Market LLC. will not be permitted to be sold or displayed.
- All vendors are expected to monitor themselves on all matters of conduct, attire, etc. This is a community event and minors will be present.
- Vendors are responsible for paying all fees, and obtaining all permits required by any federal, state, or local governmental entity, including, but not limited to, the City of Bloomington. Bloomington's Handmade Market LLC. is not responsible for the collection or submission of any such governmental fees.
- Vendors shall not display, offer for review, or sell any illegal or contraband items. The laws of the State of Indiana and local ordinances of the City of Bloomington shall control. Vendors shall not display, offer for review, or sell any items that are unlicensed and/or copies/interpretations of licensed or registered items at any or all sites and operations of Bloomington's Handmade Market LLC.
- Vendors are required to have their booths set up by 9:30am, and agree to not clean up until 4pm. No organization may leave early without the permission of Bloomington's Handmade Market LLC.
- Vendors are required to clean up the area provided by Bloomington's Handmade Market LLC. prior to departure. Failure to clean up your booth area will result in a $150.00 clean-up fee being charged to your organization or business.
- Any organization that has previously broken terms and conditions of a Bloomington's Handmade Market LLC. event, or who is a no-show at a Bloomington's Handmade Market LLC. event without notice, may not be eligible for participation in all future Bloomington's Handmade Market LLC. events.
- Vendors pledge to create a welcome environment for all attendees by not engaging in bullying or harassment